August 5, 2010

The Joy Of Creativity

This is my first attempt at a blog. But I have lots of thoughts and sometimes you just need to write to get them out of your head.

First let me just tell you a little bit about myself. I have a BS degree in Human & Consumer Sciences from Ohio U. I was a Retail Merchandising major because Fashion is a passion of mine.  I took a class my freshman year in Advertising from Professor R Watson and I fell in love with the industry.  I have spent the last 8 years working within the Advertising and Marketing communities both client side and agency side.  I have a very organized personality and almost a few OCD tendencies, which play in to my career choice of “Traffic Management”.

To be in Traffic you have to have a few key personality traits:
1.              You have to be extremely organized
2.              You have to be able to be a problem solver
3.              You have to be able to handle all different types of personalities
4.              You have to have a thick skin.

Although when I first started my career in Advertising when I graduated from OU in 2002, I had number 1 and was working on number 2, I had still a lot to work at for number 3 and number 4.  But now 8 years later I feel I have mastered all 4 of those qualifications.

One of the things I love most about being in this industry is the chance to be around truly outstanding creative minds, and I don’t just mean the people in the creative department.  I love being around the creative process as a whole, including the strategy development and problem solving that goes in to a Communications Campaign or Plan.  Throughout my career I have been privileged to work with some of the TOP Creative minds in the Advertising & Marketing Industries and I have learned a great deal!

In addition to working within “Traffic” I have been extremely involved in a part of the industry called “Art Buying”.  When I was a junior in college I didn’t even know what Art Buying was. And then I had the opportunity to do part of my internship in that department within one of the top agencies in the country that had a very large DC office. I learned from a woman who was truly passionate about her job and it made learning about it so interesting.  Ever since then I have loved everything about Art Buying. I love working with the Creative staff members to find the right image for a project, or the right photographer to shoot a campaign, and I even enjoy working with the Rep’s for those photographers and artists to negotiate the licensing agreements.

My creativity extends beyond this industry. Since I was in 8th grade I have been making and selling beaded jewelry.  My grandfather was a jeweler and when I was a child I loved to sit and play with the loose stones at his store.  About 2 ½ years ago I had the great pleasure of working with 2 fantastic photographers in Atlanta, GA to work on a series of photo shoots to create a library of photographs for my Jewelry website.  Please check it out, www.designsbylisafox.com my site needs some updating but I am very happy with it. I primarily sell through word of mouth or at craft fairs or home trunk shows, but I also do custom orders.

I am always trying to expand my mind, learn, and do more to become a well-rounded individual and today I decided to start this blog to add to my repertoire of things I have accomplished in this lifetime. You certainly never want to have regrets, so folks here goes nothing………enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment